From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh-agent
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 06:05:35
1 On Monday 20 November 2006 16:47, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] ssh-agent':
3 > On Monday 20 November 2006 17:20, Jorge Almeida wrote:
4 > > I've been reading the ssh-agent documentation (and googling) and it
5 > > seems clear, except for two issues for which I couldn't find any docs:
6 > >
7 > > What (where) is the ssh-agent cache? Some directory where the
8 > > decrypted keys are kept? (I mean, if I keep ssh-agent running all day,
9 > > is it more secure than just having my private keys unencrypted?)
10 >
11 > I understand (but could well be wrong) that the ssh-agent creates a new
12 > directory in /tmp/ with restrictive permissions (0700) and then creates
13 > a unix socket in it, with rather restrictive permissions (0600). Anyone
14 > who can connect to this socket (a hacker?!) could access your decrypted
15 > keys. Also, root can access the socket and therefore your keys.
16
17 Technically this is incorrect, anyone that can read and write to this
18 socket can authenticate using the keys, but they can't read the key
19 material directly. They can also engage in a known-plaintext or
20 known-cyphertext attack to attempt to determine the keys, which makes
21 whole classes of attacks more viable, but as far as I know there's still
22 little danger (unless maybe you are running the agent on one of the Top
23 500 :). Of course, since ssh keys aren't used for anything but
24 authentication, it may not be important that no key material escapes.
25
26 Of course, with a malicious root user you are pretty much fscked anyway;
27 they can run a kernel that tells ssh that memory is locked, but then log
28 all changes to that memory (revealing your key as it is generated) or log
29 all input to your tty (revealing your passphrase and letting them read the
30 key directly).
31
32 Attacks against your user from root are not someting to worry about. You
33 can't to anything to prevent them. They are something to be aware of;
34 e.g. it's ill-advised to use agent forwarding unless both local and remote
35 root are equivalently trusted.
38 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
39 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
40 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
41 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh