From: Richard Neill <rn214@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] A few (gentoo-newbie) questions (mainly about binary packages)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:30:06
1 Dear All,
2
3 I am a newbie here, and I wonder if I might ask you a few questions
4 about Gentoo. I've looked on the Gentoo website, but can't see answers
5 to all of these.
6
7 Basically, I've now used Mandrake/Mandriva for the last 4 years, and
8 become fairly proficient with it, but am considering that it is time to
9 move (Mdv is getting increasingly non-free, and is also less transparent
10 than it used to be; they also ignore bug reports!). Gentoo looks to me
11 to be the best alternative, and I have already made frequent use of the
12 excellent documentation eg on udev or dvd authoring. But before I jump
13 into the unknown, I wanted to ask a few things.
14
15 1)My main machine is a laptop, so it doesn't really have either the disk
16 space for sources or CPU power to compile everything
17 kernel,X,kde,openoffice ...). Is there a way to do a binary install that
18 will get me a fully working system within a few hours? Of course I want
19 to learn gentoo "properly", but I'd prefer to do this from within a
20 working system!
21
22 2)How exactly do gentoo security updates work? Under Mdv, there is a
23 mailing list with announcements of which RPMs to install. If I have a
24 binary-based distribution, will it be possible to keep it current?
25
26 3)Is there a relatively stable fork of gentoo with less frequent
27 updates, or do I have to stay on the bleeding edge? Of course I want to
28 get eg the latest kernel, or firefox, but I ran Mandrake Cooker for a
29 while, with > 100MB of updates per day and all sorts of random breakage!
30
31 4)Does anyone know of a good resource for ex-mandriva users?
32
33 Thank you very much for your help,
34
35 Richard