From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Mounting floppy disks
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 06:01:49
1 For some reason, when I mount floppy disk (standard HD 3.5" VFAT disk)
2 it does nothing. No error, just nothing... I have not tried this in
3 well over a year, but it used to work.
4
5 The /dev/fd0 device works normally, I can access it with mtools and
6 use dd and even access disks in virtual machines running mswindows.
7
8 Furthermore, if I make an image of the disk using dd and then loop
9 mount that image, it works! But when I try to mount my normal
10 /mnt/floppy fstab entry that I've had for years, or manually "mount -t
11 vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy" there is disk activity, but it never shows
12 up in /proc/mounts and is not mounted for me afterward. If I add "-v"
13 to mount, it tells me that it mounted, but it didn't actually...
14 either that or it has unmounted itself instantly before I can see it.
15
16 Can anyone else mount floppies? Is there some floppy magic I have
17 forgotten over the years? Thanks for any tips!