From: Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 02:43:29
1 On 12/31/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > > Mike Myers wrote:
4 > > > I just wanted to add something to the original post.
5 > > >
6 > > > I've recently began experimenting with Debian and noticed their
7 > updating
8 > > > system is exactly like what I was asking about. Basically, there's
9 > > > package updates, and then there's distro updates. Why is it
10 > > > unreasonable for Gentoo to have something like this? I think it would
11 > > > help Gentoo a lot in the server market, where scalability is
12 > important.
15 > While I might personally like what you are suggesting I think that the
16 > idea fails under the load of trying to get the community to agree on
17 > what use flags/compiler flags, etc. would be the standard that all
18 > these packages are built with. Do you make the binary packages small
19 > or do you make them full featured? Do you support AMD CPU flags?
20 > Intel? Both or neither somehow?
21 >
22 > Personally I think there are so many options in Gentoo that coming up
23 > with agreement on what to do will be pretty difficult.
24 >
25 > That said if a set of binary packages were out there I'd probably
26 > investigate using it for certain machines, but most likely never my
27 > personal desktop machine.
28 >
29 > Cheers,
30 > Mark
31 > --
32 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
36 I wasn't referring to the use of binary packages at all. I was only
37 referring to how updates are managed (or lack thereof) in Gentoo. What USE
38 flags and whatnot are set wouldn't need to be affected at all, I would
39 think.