From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] usb-storage detected but drive not assigned
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 02:06:34
1 Hi group,
2
3 I can't mount a usb music stick with a fat fs because
4 a drive letter eg /dev/sda has not been assigned.
5 Here's dmesg:
6
7 <snip>
8 usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and
9 address 2
10 usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
11 Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
12 scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
13 usb-storage: device found at 2
14 usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before
15 scanning
16 usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
17 USB Mass Storage support registered.
18 scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access USB FLASH DISK
19 V2.0 2120 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
20 usb-storage: device scan complete
21 usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
22 drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver
23 usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 2
24 usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and
25 address 3
26 usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
27 scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
28 usb-storage: device found at 3
29 usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before
30 scanning
31 scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access USB FLASH DISK
32 V2.0 2120 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
33 usb-storage: device scan complete
34
35 And $cat /proc/partitions only lists the two
36 hard-drives.
37
38 The device works OK in another gentoo unit with the
39 same kernel config and modules as far as usb is
40 concerned.
41
42 I did #mknod /dev/sda b 8 0 and tried to mount it
43 there and then tried /dev/sda1 but got "/dev/sda not a
44 valid block device" and "/dev/sda1 does not exist"
45 respectively.
46
47 Yes, the fat and vfat modules are inserted.
48
49 Maxim
56 Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
57 http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545433
58 --
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list