From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [half OT] WLAN totally beginners question
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 21:16:47
1 On 07/12/14 19:10, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am just starting to do the first steps in configuring WLAN.
5 > The problem is: This topic seems to be rich of terms, which I
6 > dont know yet how to evaluate: AP, WAP, WEP, FSK...and dozens more.
7 >
8 > Since my use case is very limited I want to configure "just that"
9 > without being urged to achieve my master degree of WLANism after
10 > studying everything this topic consists of only to recognize that
11 > I only need to know about...say...2% of it.
12 >
13 > Background: I have two little Linux boards (Arietta G25) with
14 > a RT5370 Wireless Adapter each.
15 >
16 > I want to make both able to communicate with each other beside
17 > being able to use the ethernet-over-USB connection to enable
18 > the communication with/to my PC.
19 >
20 > The whole thing should be only accessible from the Ariettas. The PC
21 > will not have an wifi adapter.
22
23 look into "wifi ad-hoc mode" [1]
24 and in the handbook [2]
25 and if you are feeling like you will have more than two devices you
26 might like to look at the batman-adv project [3]
27
28 [1]
29 https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-274790-highlight-adhoc+wireless.html
30 [2] https://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=4
31 [3] http://www.open-mesh.org/projects/batman-adv/wiki/Quick-start-guide
32 > Would be nice, if both could be configured/setup symmetrically, so
33 > no client-server relationship or something hierachical like that is
34 > needed.
35 >
36 > I cannot use any GUI application to configure the whole stuff since
37 > the Ariettas dont have enough horsepower to do that, I think. Beside
38 > that, compiling big things like QT or X11 on the Arietta will take
39 > a super long time...if it wiil not break due to the lack of enough RAM.
40 >
41 > Is there any name or terminus technicus for that what I want to
42 > do?
43 >
44 > Thank you very mcuh in advance for any help!
45 > Best regards,
46 > Meino