From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Time-lock USB stick
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 03:29:06
1 On 03/19/2013 11:18 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On 20/03/13 10:58, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> Does anybody know of time lock flash drives?
4 >>
5 >> The scenario I'm looking at is to have a drive that's only accessible
6 >> for a certain amount of time after being powered on. It would hold
7 >> crypto keys in a server context.
8 >>
9 > Something like this?
10 >
11 > http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/USB-Flash-Drives,2003-6.html
12 >
13 > It does sound like you want a "dongle" like autocad used (?) to use.
14 >
15 > I think the real solution though would be some kind of check with a
16 > remote site that would expire the keys
17
18 Not so much. The idea would be that you could power cycle the device to
19 get access to it again. The device would be read for the keys at system
20 bootup, but then would shut itself off after a few minutes to prevent
21 the keys from being read from disk. (There's still the risk of them
22 being read from the memory of the process using them, but that's
23 slightly more difficult, and security is all about raising the bar.)