From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:14:05
1 Róbert Èeròanský wrote:
2 > On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 00:01:07 +0100
3 > Alex Schuster<wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >
5 >> pvcreate /dev/sda5
6 >> vgcreate myvg /dev/sda5
7 >> lvcreate -n usr -L 10G myvg
8 >> mke2fs -j /dev/myvg/usr
9 >>
10 >> Of course, just using /dev/sda5 for /usr is simpler. But what if this
11 >> turns out to be too small? With so many partitions I would think this
12 >> is very likely to happen sooner or later. With LVM, all you'd have to
13 >> do is:
14 >>
15 >> lvresize -L +1G /dev/myvg/usr
16 >> resize2fs /dev/myvg/usr
17 > Here I do not understand from where this +1G is taken? Don't you have
18 > to make something smaller by 1G first?
19 >
20 > Robert
24 Nope. Not if you have 1Gb of space that is not used yet. Here is a
25 example:
26
27 root@fireball / # vgdisplay
28 --- Volume group ---
29 VG Name data
30 System ID
31 Format lvm2
32 Metadata Areas 1
33 Metadata Sequence No 9
34 VG Access read/write
35 VG Status resizable
36 MAX LV 0
37 Cur LV 1
38 Open LV 1
39 Max PV 0
40 Cur PV 1
41 Act PV 1
42 VG Size 698.63 GiB
43 PE Size 4.00 MiB
44 Total PE 178850
45 Alloc PE / Size 102400 / 400.00 GiB
46 Free PE / Size 76450 / 298.63 GiB
47 VG UUID eNF7B0-3BDb-qe1W-5FTH-4Uah-wRe1-xD7Xa8
48
49 root@fireball / #
50
51 Right now there is 400Gbs of space used. I have 298Gbs of free space.
52 If I wanted to add some space to something, lvresize -L +1G /dev/<path
53 to lv here> would get it added then just resize the file system.
54
55 That help?
56
57 Dale
58
62 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!