From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] partitioning an ssd for new installation
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 02:11:23
1 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2012-09-15 at 21:42 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Sep 15 2012, Kerin Millar wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Allan Gottlieb wrote:
6 >>>> I was not surprised to see that the latest manual has root+usr combined,
7 >>>> but was surprised that they specify an additional small /boot partition.
8 > ...
9 >
10 > Sorta related ... can someone comment on, or point to a guide about the
11 > relationship between partitioning, LVM and filesystems? In particular,
12 > it seems to me that if you are going to the bother of partitioning to
13 > boundaries, whatever you put into that should also be aligned.
14
15 There's no bother whatsoever entailed with current release media. If you
16 are setting all of this up on commodity hardware, it's all taken care of
17 for you.
18
19 So as to satisfy your curiosity, one exception I have encountered is
20 with systems that use LSI MegaRAID hardware. In this case, the
21 information required for tools such as pvcreate and mkfs.xfs to function
22 optimally is not conveyed to userspace. In the unlikely event that you
23 need to take matters into your own hands, you may find this informative:
24
25 http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2011/06/09/aligning-io-on-a-hard-disk-raid-the-theory/
26
27 Cheers,