From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] This Connection is Untrusted: WAS: Firefox-10.0.1 fails to compile on x86
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 01:16:26
1 On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> What is it about my systems wherein every one of these https links
5 >> case my systems to barf with a "This Connection is Untrusted" message.
6 >> If I remove the 's' then things work fine.
7 >
8 > https encompasses two basic functions: encryption and trust.
9 >
10 > In this case the hostname in the SSL certificate installed on that
11 > server does not match the hostname in the URL, so it does not trust
12 > it. If they matched, it would then check to see if it was expired. If
13 > it was not expired, it would then check to see if it was signed by a
14 > CA that you trust (browsers come with a set of trusted CAs already).
15 > If it was self-signed or signed by an untrusted CA (like DigiNotar...)
16 > you'd get a warning as well.
17 >
18 > If literally every https link is untrusted, maybe you have an issue
19 > with the installation of certificates on your system, or have chosen
20 > not to trust any CAs.
21 >
22 > Commercial websites, banks, stores, etc. should always have valid and
23 > trusted certificates. In OSS world, most people don't have the need or
24 > money to pay for a certificate when all they're really interested in
25 > is encrypting the connection. There are also servers that are
26 > listening for https connections but aren't advertised as such... the
27 > mozilla website is probably one of those. Using plug-ins like
28 > HTTPS-everywhere will try to use https even on sites that don't use it
29 > by default.
30 >
31 > In all of those cases above, if you allowed the connection it would
32 > still be SSL encrypted. You'd be protected against packet sniffers but
33 > not against man-in-the-middle attack. By switching to http your
34 > session occurs in plain-text and is vulnerable to both attacks.
37 OK, clearly I'm overstating the problem then. I haven't ever had any
38 problems logging into password protected, little closed lock in the
39 bottom corner web sites so that's not a problem. The real problem I've
40 noticed the most is just with these links that arrive as https:// type
41 links and Firefox asking me to specifically accept these certificates
42 which I don't really want to do.
43
44 And I've not had any problems I've noticed by just removing the 's'
45 and using the site like a regular site.
46
47 So, I guess there really isn't any problem with my system.
48
49 I appreciate the info folks. As always, thanks!
50
51 Cheers,
52 Mark