From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best Jabber Server
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 14:02:05
1 Hi,
2
3 Am Freitag, 4. November 2011, 14:27:44 schrieb Jens Reinemuth:
4 > On 04.11.2011 14:18, Michael Mol wrote:
5 > > We use Openfire and Asterisk at work. I wasn't aware they could be
6 > > integrated, though.
7 > >
8 > > Meanwhile, each independently is great.
9 >
10 > While i agree that asterisk is great i really think that openfire is "a
11 > hell of a jabber server"... While ejabberd runs as erlang script,
12 > openfire is written in java which makes it depend on a actual vm with
13 > all it's disadvantages (slow, memory overhead, ...). Even if the
14 > configuration via Webinterface is really easy and comfortable, you have
15 > at least 10-20 features you don't and even will never need...
16
17 erlang isn't a "scripting language". It's a functional programming language
18 compiled to bytecode running in a vm as does java. It has builtin distribution
19 and it's quite easy to write servers that scale and provide many 9s of
20 availability. The OTP framework (erlangs stdlib) provides support for hot code
23 > ejabberd is a jabber-server. not more not less and runs with way less
24 > memory and io...
25 >
26 > But i can't understand why there aren't any native (aka. compiled)
27 > jabber-servers, at least some that have actual releases...
28
29 erlang has hipe, which compiles erlang to native code. I don't know, if
30 ejabberd works compiled with hipe.
31
32 Best,
33 Michael