From: Andreas Fink <finkandreas@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Update gentoo from live usb?
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 07:36:57
1 Hello,
2
3 I have a couple of systems that I do not update regularily (some not
4 even for years). But then sometimes I feel, hey I should do an update.
5 I have one master build server which builds packages and keeps them as
6 binary packages, annd all my systems pull the gentoo portage tree from
7 this master build server, additionally also the configs in /etc/portage
8 is the same amongst all boxes, i.e. use flags et al are all the same.
9
10 Now comes the misery when I want to update an old box, because of
11 unsupported EAPI and what not. One way that I used in the past was to
12 extract a stage-3 tarball over the existing root system, and then do
13 the upgrade, which works to some extent, but it does not seem right.
14 Coming now to my question: Is it possible to start a live gentoo system
15 with a recent portage version and then tell portage that it should
16 install the packages in /mnt/gentoo (which is the real system I care
17 about). I have heard about the prefix project, but I'm not sure if this
18 is exactly what I want.
19 Maybe a second approach would be to get the minimal set of binary
20 packages from the master build server and extract them manually, such
21 that I end up with a recent enough portage which supports all EAPIs
22 that are in the tree. But I have no clue how to get the minimal set of
23 packages that I would need to extract.
24
25 Does anybody have other approaches (besides starting from scratch)?