From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Binary install distro
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 22:15:08
1 On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > This is maybe a bit off topic but here goes.  I want to install Linux on my
5 > brothers rig.  The heat sink on the CPU is not much, OEM type.  I don't want
6 > to install Gentoo because of that and it is a older rig with a slow CPU and
7 > not a lot of ram either.  So, what is a easy to install distro that has
8 > KDE4, Seamonkey, gtkam, GIMP and such?  I want something easy because I want
9 > to install and leave it be until he can get a new rig built.  Then I'll be
10 > installing Gentoo for a more permanent install.
11
12 Since you're already familiar with Gentoo, I would take a look at
13 Sabayon. It's basically a binary Gentoo distro (and a gentoo overlay).
14 It comes preconfigured just like ubuntu or others so you don't need to
15 do anything, just install it and you'll have a working graphical
16 desktop and lots of software. Super easy and all of the configuration
17 is done Gentoo-style. They have GTK, KDE and XFCE versions to choose
18 from. I've only played with it briefly in a VM and tried the LiveDVD
19 on my laptop, but I believe you can even still use emerge and use
20 portage like you would in Gentoo.