From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on a cell?
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 02:29:56
1 On 19/2/20 4:16 am, james wrote:
2 > So,
3 >
4 > After contacting several US carriers, the cover story is you can get a
5 > cell phone, root it with linux, and it 'should work'. Supposedly, you
6 > are encourage, but they
7 > will not offer any help. So rather than spending months,
8 > I'd like to 'cheat' and find a gentoo hack(er) that has
9 > rooted and put some form of gentoo, or embedded_gentoo
10 > on a cell phone.
11 >
12 > Please respond to the list, but, for whatever reason, private
16 > I'm just tire of my Android cell phone downloading update *every
17 > night*. I want/need control of the stacks
18 > running on the phone. I have heard this is quite popular in Europe and
19 > the Rf circuits have their own firmware, so it's really next to
20 > impossible to hack the Rf side
21 > of communications.....?
24 > Any and all responses, public or private, are most welcome. Links only
25 > are fine too!
28 > James
31 For gentoo, I would say "not easy at all" - the problem is custom
32 hardware, propriety drivers and lack of information, even in well
33 supported models.
34
35 There was an app where you could install gentoo into something like a
36 container - worked well but the android kernel I was using at the time
37 didn't have some functioned enabled that fed into limiting some
38 operations in the container.
39
40 Easier and more practical would be to install LibreOS. You can build ii
41 yourself and build/include your own software as needed - I did it many
42 times with its Cyanogenmod predecessor (I presume you still can).  There
43 are some other stacks suitable for phones such as sailfish and even
44 android can be built yourself (and you can defang/customise it while
45 doing it - google not needed and if you dont install GAPPS it still
46 works fine)
47
48 To be honest, if what you mentioned is your main gripe, build android
49 and use a third party app store like F-Droid to control that side of the
50 equation.
51
52 Make sure you look into rooting, flashing a new OS and the implications
53 of doing so - that can be another whole level of pain depending on the
54 brand of your hardware, and how recent it is (less chance with new stuff
55 as the really smart people have not had time to trailblaze :)
56
57 BillK