From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc upgrade from 3.x to 4.x, when should I run revdep-rebuild?
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:41:13
1 On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 23:15:09 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > So basically if I mess with a file and then unmerge the program it
4 > belongs to, I have to remember which ones I messed with and delete them
5 > myself?
6
7 Yes, because the file is no longer the file portage installed, so it has
8 no right to remove it.
9
10 > If I unmerge this in a console and can't read all the "--
11 > !mtime" as they roll by, I'm stuck with orphan files on my rig? This
12 > needs a fix but I wouldn't want to be the dev to figure this one
13 > out. ;-)
14
15 This generally isn't a problem, because you normally only edit files
16 in /etc, which are config protected anyway. It arises here because
17 fix_libtool_files.sh modifies the .la files. One could argue that it is
18 the responsibility of that script to check the md5/mtime information and
19 update it.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 A computer scientist is someone who, when told to "Go to Hell,"
26 sees the "go to," rather than the destination, as harmful.