From: john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Maybe OT]: Instability of system
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 22:21:47
1 On Sun, 20 May 2018 23:20:36 +0100
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sunday, 20 May 2018 21:54:32 BST Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > > Hello, Gentoo.
6 > >
7 > > I'm having problems with my machine hanging or rebooting
8 > > spontaneously. It's doing this, perhaps, every three or four
9 > > weeks. I think that when I'm in X, the system usually reboots,
10 > > when I'm on a tty, it hangs.
11 > >
12 > > This phenomenon has, up till now, been just below the level at which
13 > > it's annoying enough to do something about. But my machine just
14 > > hung on me a few minutes ago, and now it's definitely reached tha
15 > > threshold where spending effort fixing it seems justified.
16 > >
17 > > My actual Gentoo installation is fine, in fact, so good that I've
18 > > not needed to post to the list for a long time. :-)
19 > >
20 > > My system is an AMD Ryzen processor on an Asus Prime X370-Pro
21 > > mainboard, and is just over a year old. I don't think my RAM is
22 > > unstable (though it's been a long time since I've run that RAM
23 > > checking program).
24 > >
25 > > I honestly suspect the firmware on the mainboard. When it was new,
26 > > the board was practically unusable - with two sticks of RAM
27 > > installed, it would crash after about 1 - 3 minutes. With just one
28 > > stick of RAM, it stayed up long enough to install new firmware
29 > > (version 0604), which appeared to be stable.
30 > >
31 > > Going back to Asus's firmware page, there appear to have been many
32 > > subsequent versions of the firmware released during the last year.
33 > > Would it be a good idea for me to download and attempt to install
34 > > the latest version? Is this in any way risky? (My mains supply is
35 > > reliable.)
36 > >
37 > > Other than that, suggestions as to what to do would be welcome.
38 > >
39 > > Thanks!
40 >
41 Hello,
42
43 Interesting post.
44 Just read this and have same issue.
45 AMD Ryzen
46 X370 Asus motherboard
47
48 I seem to get issue roughly every two to three weeks where I get a
49 complete lock (Sys rescue keys dont work) or occasional reboot.
50
51 I personally think this is a ryzen/linux issue as I dual boot with
52 Windows and never had a problem there (for gaming purposes only).
53
54 Not much help but good to see I'm not the only one.
55
56 Think you'll be fine loading latest firmware as have done this but it
57 hasn't really helped.
58
59 John