From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Package management, depclean and new installs
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 06:36:57
1 On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 at 08:05, <coalml@××××.io> wrote:
2 > Firstly is there any dependency hell that I can fall into when placing lots of different packages with (unexpectedly) conflicting deps on my own meta package?Has anyone (reading this) that has done it before and worked out a niche way to avoid falling into that trap?
3
4 Probably depends on what you intend this 'meta' package to do.
5 Something like the KDE meta package is rarely useful outside of DE's
6 in my estimate, and exist purely to create a KDE 'package' that users
7 can easily install without much consideration.
8
9 If you want to create your own groups of packages that you want to
10 install with a single command, I would look into sets. @system and
11 @world are sets that everyone uses, but it's easy to create your own
12 for whatever purpose.
13
14 Portage is usually pretty good at helping you figure out any
15 dependency conflicts, so I wouldn't worry about it. Might be worth
16 looking deeper into the way portage prints dependency errors if you
17 encounter problems though. As evidenced by many a thread on this list,
18 it can sometimes be very hard to understand, simply because there can
19 be a lot of it when there are conflicts, and it's easy to get
20 side-tracked by information that isn't directly related to your
21 problem.
22
23 > Secondly(I know I will surely find this one in the wiki but)can I set a priority to pull from the local repo first if package exists and then have the official repo as a backup?
24
25 You configure your repos in /etc/portage/repos.conf. For each repo you
26 have the option of setting a priority. I think "official third-party"
27 repos installed through layman gets a priority = 50, and if I'm not
28 mistaken, the official repo have a default of 100. If you want your
29 own repo to be the first choice, give your repo a higher priority.
30
31 Cheers,
32 Arve