From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't get ALSA OSS Emulation to work
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 00:09:35
1 On 8/16/05, Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:55:58 -0700
4 > Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >
6 > > Nick,
7 > > Interesting. I have something like 8 Gentoo machines I run Alsa on.
8 > > All of them use OSS emulation at least partially. I do not remember
9 > > any messages or guidance to do what you're say, but indeed, it makes
10 > > sense, sort of... Unfortunately, it seems that emerge didn't tell me
11 > > to do this or, if it did, then the messages were lost in an endless
12 > > stream of compile text while doing an emerge world.
13 > >
14 > > I suppose I really don't like this way of doing it since it now
15 > > makes Alsa set up for Gentoo different from what is specified on the
16 > > Alsa pages. It also seems that the /etc/conf.d/alsasound page may not
17 > > give me as much control in my systems where I'm using multiple sound
18 > > cards. I'll have to review that more carefully.
19 > >
20 > > Humm... Are there any new online instructions that specify all these changes?
21 >
22 > I didn't find any, i figured it out for myself.
23 >
24 > I posted to this list, then found the solution then posted a SOLVED
25 > message almost staright away, a week or 2 back.
28 Nick,
29 Sorry for not seeing the post or the work you were doing in this
30 area. I haven't been reading this list in depth lately.
31
32 As I say, I think the capabilities provided here by the Gentoo devs
33 look good, but I get the feeling there maybe wasn't so much thought
34 given to multiple sound card systems. For instance, if I have an
35 expensive sound card in a system which also has an on-board sound
36 chip, then maybe I want Alsa support for both devices, but OSS support
37 only for the second card. Game audio, etc., goes there while recording
38 studio audio goes through the high-end card using Jack. This allows me
39 to run Jack through the first card while I run OSS through the second.
40 The first card goes to external D/A & A/D converters. The OSS audio
41 goes out of the machine as analog and into an external A/D to get
42 resynced with Jack. How do I do this? (I.e. - I can do it easily with
43 the sort of configuration I presented earlier.)
44
45 Thanks,
46 Mark
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list