From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] setting a USE flags for many packages
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:10:54
1 On Sunday 22 March 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 22 March 2009 21:53:25 Dale wrote:
3 > > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > > On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 17:43:29 +0100 (CET), Helmut Jarausch wrote:
5 > > >> I normally like to have the documentation built for all packages.
6 > > >> Therefore I have added 'doc' to /etc/make.conf USE
7 > > >
8 > > > Are you aware that the doc USE flag normally controls extra
9 > > > documentation, such as API docs for devs? Normal documentation, like
10 > > > man and info pages, is generally built by default. You're probably
11 > > > better off with -doc in make.conf and only enable it for the packages
12 > > > you need.
13 > >
14 > > This is true. I have had -doc in make.conf for a looooong time and I
15 > > still have all the man and info pages. I can't say that I have even
16 > > missed anything really.
17 >
18 > Same here. Well, almost. I have USE=doc set for 13 packages thinking at the
19 > time they were extremely useful. In practise the only one I have ever
20 > actually referred to is the html version of the mplayer man page. Go figure
21 > :-)
22
23 There's no need to set -doc in your make.conf as this is the default:
24
25 # euse -i doc
26 global use flags (searching: doc)
27 ************************************************************
28 [- ] doc - Adds extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc)
29
30 local use flags (searching: doc)
31 ************************************************************
32 [- ] doc (app-crypt/mit-krb5):
33 Creates and installs the API and implementation documentation. This is only
34 useful if you want to develop software which depends on kerberos.
35
36 [- ] doc (app-misc/beagle):
37 Builds programmer documentation for Beagle using app-doc/monodoc.
38
39 [- ] doc (dev-php5/ZendFramework):
40 Installs the documentation
41
42 [- ] doc (dev-python/wxpython):
43 Install HTML wxWidgets docs and wxpython API reference.
44
45 [- ] doc (media-libs/swfdec):
46 Build documentation
47
48 [- ] doc (net-analyzer/cacti):
49 install html documentation
50
51 [- ] doc (net-print/hplip):
52 Build documentation
53
54 [- ] doc (sys-apps/hal):
55 Generates documentation that describes HAL's fdi format.
56
57 HTH.
58 --
59 Regards,