From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eth0 does not exist - success
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 06:53:07
1 Monday 29 May 2006 09:19 skrev Kenneth Hopping:
2 > I selected the 3COM options like you suggested and recompiled the
3 > kernel. Unfortunately, during reboot I got "invalid compressed format
4 > (err=1)". I tried "make clean" to flush everything and compiled again
5 > but it still wouldn't boot. My drastic solution was to reinstall gentoo
6 > from scratch. Now the network initializes properly during startup.
7
8 *shrug*
9
10 Probably all you had to do after enabling the module in the config was:
11
12 # make && make modules_install && make install
13
14 You would need to make sure that /boot was mounted during the 'make install'
15 (which probably was the only step you missed) and then it would have worked.
16 You almost *never* need to reinstall from scratch..
19 Bo Andresen