From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: DLNA saga
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 13:06:17
1 On 5 Feb 2010, at 03:47, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 13:55 +0000, James wrote:
4 >> Hello Folks,
7 >> In a previous thread I was curious about DLNA and anyone's
8 >> experiences
9 >> with it. DLNA is definitely a new MicroSoft Infection!
12 >> As it turns out, a very bright (savant) EE friend of mine shared
13 >> his recent
14 >> experience with DLNA:
15 >>
16 >> QUOTE:
17 >
18 > [interesting story]
19 >
20 >> end rant.
21 >> END/QUOTE
22 >
23 > I just Don't Get It(TM).
24 >
25 > Being an embedded programmer, it is so friggin cheap and easy to chuck
26 > on a TTL-USB chip with drivers available for just about anything.
27 > Then
28 > you have usb-serial (or plain old serial if you want). Plonk your own
29 > version of a tiny binary protocol on it an voila!
30
31 I'm extremely dubious of the alleged Microsoft-only compatibility.
32
33 James has failed so far to adequately answer the suggestion that
34 *surely* the amp is *controlled* by a web-browser interface. Surely
35 the point of the web-browser integration is so that the user can
36 program the front-panel keys and the list of favourite radio-stations.
37
38 Whilst I have seen embedded devices (Dell DRAC4) that utilise Windows-
39 only components, there was a purpose for doing so and I have seen many
40 more (Dell RAC in the PowerEdge 2650, home NAS devices, 2 x KVM-IP of
41 different manufacturers) that don't. Why should the programmer make
42 his own life more difficult for no good reason.
43
44 I could imagine that a tuner might enable one to stream audio to a
45 laptop using DLNA or a Windows plug-in, but in many cases one could
46 just stream internet radio directly to the laptop.
47
48 Since we don't know for sure what the purpose of the web-browser
49 integration is, it's impossible to even guess if it might be MS-only.
50 Like I say, I'm imagining it _only to be for setting up_ the tuner's
51 advanced functions, but the way to find out would be to talk to
52 someone who has one (on, say, the AV Forums messageboards) or to try it.
53
54 Pointless speculation is pointless.
55
56 Stroller.