From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] scp or sftp from another local machine in GENTOO_MIRRORS?
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:08:58
1 I have two machines. My production machine is named m3000 and the
2 backup is m450. The numbers refer to the machines' cpu speeds in mhz.
3 I keep both machines updated, so that m450 (a 6-year-old Dell PIII) can
4 be pressed into service immediately if the main machine dies. This
5 means that I end up duplicating downloads for emerges. I'm trying to
6 cut down on the download duplication, and make things a bit easier of
7 Gentoo mirrors.
8
9 I update m3000 first and then m450. Any necessary tarballs/checksums
10 will end up in m3000's /usr/portage/distfiles directory. I've already
11 got ssh via key authorization going between the two machines, so they
12 can back up each other. I turn on m450 once a week to emerge --sync and
13 update it. I'd like the first mirror choice to be scp or sftp from m3000
14 (or 192.168.123.252 if that's easier). Can it be done, and if so, what
15 is the syntax?
18 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
19 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
20 --