From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Udev rules for identical hard drives
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 23:36:10
1 Hi there!
2
3 I do not understand the numbering of my hard drives. There may be some
4 inherent logic, but whenever I make some changes, like replacing drives,
5 or changing BIOS settings, the order changes. Maybe it's even more random.
6
7 So I made some udev rules like this, and my drives are called /dev/hd1,
8 hd2 and hd3:
9
10 SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi", KERNEL=="sd?", ATTRS{model}=="SAMSUNG HD154UI",
11 SYMLINK="hd1"
12
13 This works fine, and this way I can address them in scripts, smartd and
14 hdparm config files and such. But now I have two identical drives. I had
15 this before with the drive above, but while being identical models, the
16 two drives differed a little in size, so I just had to add ATTR{size}.
17 This does not help with my current drives, and I find nothing
18 in /sys/block/sd?/device/ that differs. Could there be another way to
19 distinguish the drives, like looking at the partition scheme or something?
20
21 Wonko