From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backups
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:29:41
1 On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:53:27 -0700, Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > My personal favorite for my desktop and laptop is using 'dar' with big
4 > USB hard drives....but that's what works well for me.
5
6 I use rdiff-backup, which is ideal for backing up automatically to a
7 hard drive. I run it from cron, hourly on critical directories, daily on
8 the rest. I then have a weekly cron script that compresses the backup
9 directories with squashfs and writes them to ISO images ready for writing
10 to bootable DVDs. It makes restoring individual files very easy, and a
11 completely hosed system can be fixed because the DVDs are bootable.
15 Neil Bothwick
16
17 A day without sunshine is like night.