From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: firefox 68
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 16:37:08
1 On 2019-09-16 15:43, Mick wrote:
2
3 > Actually, on two systems FF 68 has been a disaster:
4 >
5 > As reported by Peter, it crashes when launched.
6
7 I rebuilt with the default flags (ie. with the system libraries) and so
8 far it is working ok.
9
10 > I have found three approaches to allow it to launch.
11 >
12 > 1. Start it with --safe-mode. A pain, because I have to re-enable the
13 > Menu to become visible as well as the Bookmards Toolbar. By
14 > definition all addons and extensions are disabled.
15
16 As Peter wrote, this seems to point to an extension as the culprit. How
17 many do you have, and are any of them out of the "mainstream"?
18
19 > Then restarted it. It launched with its new start up page and what
20 > not. Everything worked. I did NOT change any settings what-so-ever.
21 > I closed it and relaunched it. The window now has no window title bar
22 > at the top.
23
24 Yes, this is a feature. I kid you not. There is a checkbox somewhere
25 (I think in the Toolbars|Customize panel) to re-enable the title bar.
26 Unpleasant UI mods like this have become a matter of course with
27 Mozilla, unfortunately.
28
29 > also shows no bookmarks. Menus are empty. What the ... ?!
30
31 This I would not expect. Are you sure you moved _only_ prefs.js out of
32 the profile directory and no other files?
33
34 > 3. Create a new blank profile. This works fine, until/unless I try to
35 > tweak telemetry settings.
36
37 I disable all the telemetry rubbish, if there is no ".enable" setting I
38 just clear out the corresponding URL. And as I say above, this doesn't
39 break my firefox.
40
41 > I don't mind recompiling it if this is what must happen, is there any
42 > particular system-* USE flag which I should disable? BTW, in previous
43 > versions I have these FF USE flags set in a corresponding package.use
44 > file:
45 >
46 > system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg system-libevent system-libvpx system-
47 > sqlite -wifi
48
49 I have a feeling you're too quick to suspect these libraries. If the
50 system linking worked for you before, why do you think it is the cause
51 of the breakage now? Many other things have changed.
54 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
55 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
56 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
57 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.