From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 09:28:41
1 On Sun, 24 May 2009 11:07:13 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > Portage is not in system, only the virtual. That can be
4 > > satisfied by Paludis, which does not need Python.
5 >
6 > Lucky for you, I know your sense of humour by now :-)
7 >
8 > Doesn't help portage users though, and portage is still the default
9 > package manager on Gentoo. I don't see that changing any time soon, if
10 > ever.
11 >
12 > Besides, unless you do it manually, you need portage to install
13 > paludis, right? Without python, you don't get paludis.
14 >
15 > Either way, it's a bug. portage supports inheriting multiple parent
16 > profiles. One approach would be to add a new collection of profiles in
17 > addition to the existing base/, default/ and targets/ - called say
18 > pkgmgr.
19
20 Is it really a bug? Postage is the default for the virtual and it depends
21 on python, so there is no need for python itself to be in @system. This
22 doesn't cause any problems except the one Dale mentions, which is that
23 FEATURES=buildsyspkg does not build a package for python. man make.conf
24 describes this option as "Build binary packages for just packages in the
25 system set. Which is accurate but maybe not the desired behaviour. The
26 option should really by to build packages for packages in @system and
27 their dependencies. Put another way, build all the packages necessary to
28 run "emerge -eK @system".
29
30 I'd suggest filing an enhancement request on b.g.o.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 But I thought YOU did the backups...