From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Systemd upower
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 22:29:41
1 On 05/06/14 01:14, »Q« wrote:
2 > On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 22:06:07 +0200
3 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> The good news is that the version of upower prior to this decision
6 >> still works fine and likely will for ages to come. That code has been
7 >> bundled into a new package upower-pm-utils.
8 >>
9 >> Anyone that feels like doing it can now step up to the plate and
10 >> continue the work upower was doing earlier.
11 > I don't understand the development status of upower-pm-utils. Is there
12 > someone either upstream or with Gentoo committed to maintaining it?
13
14 No, nobody is actively working on it, it's the abandoned upstream git
15 branch that used to be master before 0.99.0's release:
16
17 Current sys-power/upower-pm-utils is same as latest code from
18 http://cgit.freedesktop.org/upower/log/?h=0.9
19 And last commit is 2013
20
21 I might backport some fixes from git master over at some point later,
22 but I won't do any promises
23
24 > Or
25 > is it a git branch created just to meet the current needs of
26 > non-systemd Gentoo users?
30 It's to be considered as a temporary solution for applications that need
31 the Hibernate and Suspend functionality
32 from UPower for non-systemd users, applications like
33 mate-session-manager, lxsession, uevt, and so forth
34
35 Migrating to >=sys-power/upower-0.99.0 is the recommended path to take
36 if at all possible. It's possible for eg.
37 Xfce users, because Xfce in ~arch integrated sys-power/pm-utils support
38 directly for Hibernate and Suspend
39 Also, GNOME 3.12 requires 0.99.0
40
41 - Samuli