From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switching to non-NPTL profile
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 07:36:32
1 On Sunday 11 February 2007, Pawel K wrote:
2 > Hello
3 >
4 > I would like to install User-Mode Linux. It requires
5 > non-NPTL profile.
6 > Are below steps sufficient to switch to non-NPTL
7 > profile ?
8 >
9 > 1. Remove nptl and nptlonly flags from USE variable in
10 > /etc/make.conf file:
11 > USE="-nptl -nptlonly"
12 >
13 > 2. Which of the following commands should I perform
14 > now?
15 >
16 > emerge --newuse world
17 > or
18 > emerge -e world
19
20 You might get away with an 'emerge -uND world", but consider what you
21 are trying to accomplish. You want to update and make a deep change to
22 the most basic library on the system - glibc - and at the same time
23 change the system's threading model. When done, every library that
24 previously used nptl will still want to, but it won't be there. So you
25 will need to do a revdep-rebuild and wait for the humunguous emerge
26 that triggers to complete.
27
28 All things considered, you might as well just 'emerge -e world' anyway.
29 It's likely to take not much longer and will be a mostly uneventful
30 task that takes about a day or so.
34 Optimists say the glass is half full,
35 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
36 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
37
38 Alan McKinnon
39 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
40 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list