From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with xf86-video-ati & nvidia-drivers
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:30:52
1 On 19 July 2011, at 20:41, Grant wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I found this:
4 >
5 > "We recommend using the Just Scan mode with 1080i and 1080p material,
6 > which assures zero overscan and proper 1:1 pixel matching for this
7 > 1080p display."
8 >
9 > http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/lg-47lh90/4505-6482_7-33485570.html#reviewPage1
10 >
11 > Just Scan is what I've always used which has the ghosting problem. I
12 > think I'm back to square one.
13
14 I think the Windows versions of the nVidia drivers have options to over- or under-scan.
15
16 This compensates for (older?) TVs which have no way to switch to a "just scan" mode. So the graphics card will, I think, output a slightly over-sized picture, then the telly will scale it down a bit back to normal size. This will not produce a perfect picture, but if overscan on the TV cannot be disabled, then there is no better choice.
17
18 Is it possible they have recently added this feature to the Linux nVidia driver?
19
20 Stroller.