From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Status of Gentoo
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:05:12
1 * Jamie Dobbs <jamie.dobbs@×××××××.nz> wrote:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > I've been away from Gentoo for the last year or so and using Ubuntu but
6 > find that I want to return to Gentoo simply because of the level of
7 > customization that I can do with it.
8
9 wb :)
10
11 > However, I do have a few worries - why has there been no 2007.1 release
12 > (there was a 2006.1 from what I recall)?
13
14 Actually, I never cared about these "releases". IMHO they're just
15 profiles. portage keeps your system up-to-date by fresh ebuilds.
16 For a fresh installation I always take the newest profile and
17 older systems are migrated from time to time. Never felt the need
18 for an immediate profile update.
19
20 > There also appears to have been a bit of turmoil in the Gentoo
21 > 'management;' - has this affected the long term viability of
22 > running Gentoo?
23
24 AFAIK, this only affected the foundation, which is just an
25 organization which does some "business work" (eg. marketing),
26 collects funds for server infrastructure, etc. The Gentoo project
27 itself doesn't *need* it, it just makes some things easier.
28 I've never felt any impact on the distro by these troubles.
29 (but that's just my personal oppition)
30
31 > Also I'm not running at Athlon X2 system, ifs there any _real_
32 > advantage to running AMD64 or should I still to x86?
33 > Just a few questions before I plunge in to it again :-)
34
35 My personal taste: only useful if you need more than 3GB per
36 process (1GB virtual address space is reseverd for the kernel,
37 but this could be changed within the kernel sources) or for
38 bumber crunching, maybe also in some database workloads.
39
40 The key point: on an 64bit system, CPU traffic is 64bit width,
41 so CPU's IO is faster, but this (normally) implies also 64bit
42 code alignment, which can waste a lot of memory.
43
44 BTW: some applications can use 64bit ops for specific things
45 even on an 32bit base system (but this has to be done with
46 caution, just like any other CPU specific optimizations).
49 cu
50 --
52 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
54 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
55 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
56 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
57 http://patches.metux.de/
59 --
60 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list