From: Matthias Hanft <mh@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Discontinued Package: Copy to local overlay, just leave installed, or install manually?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 09:24:31
1 Hi,
2
3 according to https://bugs.gentoo.org/718972 (and a posting
4 in the dev list), gsutil (and all needed libs) will be removed
5 from the tree because "it's broken" (which is not true - works
6 like a charm).
7
8 Since I do need gsutil urgently, I have already copied the needed
9 ebuilds from /usr/portage to a local overlay in order to "emerge
10 -c gsutil::gentoo" and then "emerge gsutil::local".
11
12 But then came to my mind: Is that necessary at all? As far as I
13 know, I can just leave discontinued packages installed and continue
14 to use them - regardless of whether they are still in portage tree
15 or not. True or false?
16
17 Or is it better to get rid of portage/ebuilds at all and do a
18 manual installation, as described at
19 https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/gsutil_install?hl=en ?
20
21 Thanks,