From: Andreas Fink <finkandreas@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is the best way forward?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 16:14:17
1 On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 15:15:55 -0000 (UTC)
2 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 2021-02-25, hitachi303 <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5 >
6 > > I found it to be helpful to de-install as many programs as possible
7 > > before starting the update and the first emerge --sync. This reduces the
8 > > amount of conflicts by a considerable amount.
9 >
10 > Yes, Definitely. If you can, uninstall anything "big" that you can
11 > live without temporarily: LibreOffice, Chromium, Qt, KDE, X11, Gnome,
12 > Cups, etc.
13 >
14 > Leave portage, sshd, Python, your init system, and GCC.
15 >
16 > > Stuff like libreoffice or thunderbird and so on and all of their
17 > > dependencies. Everything your system does not need to run but what
18 > > you need to be productive when you use your system. I use -av
19 > > --depclean for this.
23 Can't you, instead of uninstalling anything big, just start with the
24 system set for the upgrade?
25 emerge -auvDN @system
26
27 Once the system set is updated you can assume of being in a rather sane
28 state, where a world upgrade should just work(TM).