From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Out of memory during GCC compile
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 19:52:44
1 Am 06.02.2012 22:33, schrieb Grant:
2 > I'm trying to compile GCC on a remote system with 192MB RAM. It's
3 > completed successfully before but now it uses up all RAM. The compile
4 > doesn't stop but it must be thrashing. I have MAKEOPTS="-j1" in
5 > /etc/make.conf. Am I jeopardizing my HD by letting it swap on the
6 > compile right now? I've ordered an upgrade to the max of 512MB. I've
7 > stopped all processes using up memory that I don't need including X.
8 > Is there anything else I can do to get through the compile with 192MB
9 > RAM?
10 >
11 > - Grant
14 I noticed a sudden spike in gcc's memory consumption here. I had enough
15 memory to keep up with it but it still filled ca. 6GB of RAM for a
16 single .c file. Then it went back down. If you experience the same, I
17 guess adding swap is reasonable as you won't need it for the whole time.
18
19 P.S: Did you consider using a bin-pkg from a different system? You could
20 also export your root-fs via NFS and compile in a chroot from a
21 different system.
22
23 Regards,
24 Florian Philipp