From: Alex Bennee <kernel-hacker@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Using the x11 overlay
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 10:50:28
1 Hi,
2
3 I had manually built (via my own local overlay) more recent versions of
4 large chunks of X to get around some slugish performance on my Intel
5 based setup. However I noticed by xf86-video-intel driver got
6 downgraded today due to an updated package.mask with the message:
7
8 R?mi Cardona <remi@g.o> (29 Apr 2009)
9 # packages currently in the x11 overlay which will soon be moved to portage
10 # see bug #260582 for xorg-server 1.6.1 issues
11 # see bug #174434 for xcb-related issues (not all are blocker)
12
13 Which is great but what do I do in the meantime?
14
15 I thought I may as well try the x11 overlay so added it to layman but
16 obviously the package mask is still in effect. I assume the manually
17 editing /usr/portage/profile/package.mask will cause problems when the
18 package.mask is updated. I can see the overlay has it's own profile
19 stuff that prevents dev builds (99999) being built accidentally but
20 nothing that overides the profile mask settings.
21
22 Basically I'm a little lost on how to run recent X11 (myself or via
23 the x11 overlay) the "correct" way until the packages finally make it
24 into the portage tree.
27 Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
28 CV: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/cv.php