From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eee pc query
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:26:47
1 On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Matt Harrison
2 <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > I've got one of these Asus EEEPc's and I'm thinking about installing gentoo
4 > on it as the (xubuntu) distro isn't really up to par with gentoo IMHO.
5 >
6 > I'm not worried about messing things up as I can just re-image it with the
7 > supplied discs if something goes wrong but I do have a couple of questions.
8 >
9 > I've seen people writing about using USB sticks etc to install, I was just
10 > wondering, is there anything stopping me from just scp'ing across the stage3
11 > and portage tarballs, extracting them somewhere and chrooting in.
12 >
13 > Then I should be able to complete the install from the chroot (although
14 > using distcc to speed up compilation times).
15 >
16 > Does anyone know why this might not be a good idea?
19 I simply installed a whole chroot in my main machine to do the
20 compiling, then rsynced the whole chroot to / on the EEE. I used the
21 default xandros to create a simple live SD to boot and rsync for the
22 first time, after that, the system is ready and the SD became backup
23 storage space. You can still compile stuff using your main machine,
24 and rsync the changes back to the EEE, saving a LOT of compile time.
25
26 Simple, fast (you don't want the EEE to compile X and compiz stuff, it
27 is really slow). And you save the space, cause you don't need to rsync
28 the portage tree and/or kernel sources, etc.
31 Daniel da Veiga
32 --
33 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list