From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cross compiling arm with 17 profiles.
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 14:15:00
1 On P, 2017-12-17 at 16:50 +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
2 > Something I cant figure out:
3 >
4 > ARM is still on the 13 profiles - should an amd64 system used to
5 > cross
6 > compile for arm (Raspberry Pi's) be left on the 13 profiles or 17
7 > will
8 > work fine?
9
10 ARM profiles are delayed to potentially fix CHOSTs together with the
11 profile update. Though no-one is actively doing the work to my
12 knowledge right now.
13
14 I guess it could cause trouble from default PIE vs no PIE from native
15 compiler, but I don't know enough about that field to know for sure.
16
17 If you pay attention to any future CHOST changes and handle them
18 yourself at the right time, you could manually choose the appropriate
19 17.0 arm profile as your symlink (it doesn't show up in eselect profile
20 due to no profiles.desc entry, but should be there in profiles/). If
21 changes are done, you might be caught a bit off-guard though at the
22 time they are done though and I'm not sure what the effects of that
23 would be either (probably not too bad).