From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB sound
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 14:49:33
1 On Tuesday, 28 April 2020 15:21:09 BST Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > I personally don't think you need asound.conf until you prove that you have
4 > a need to do some sort of non-standard configuration. That _might_ be
5 > defining a different default card but KDE can do that for you in system
6 > settings so my recommendation is no asound.conf for now. Use KDE as it's
7 > intended and (over the long run) I think it's more maintainable. However,
8 > you are completely free to use your system any way you want.
9
10 Indeed, there's /more than one way to skin a cat/ and using an asound.conf to
11 order sound devices for alsa is not absolutely necessary. Removing modules
12 for any unwanted devices will of course disable them and alsa will
13 automatically pick up whichever device is left.
14
15 I tend to use asound.conf to make sure the order of devices is respected
16 whatever DE I tend to boot into at any time, however, I do not need to
17 permanently disable devices like Peter may want to.