From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] CUPS and old java (commercial software)
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 14:47:57
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm in need to use some commercial software (Matlab and Maple) which
4 come with their own (probably old) version of Java.
5
6 Now, both of those software packages cannot print, they don't see any
7 CUPS printer UNLESS I remove the symlink /usr/lib/libcups.so which
8 points to libcups.so.2
9
10 But some GenToo packages do need that link, e.g. x11-lib/qt-gui won't
11 install unless that link is there.
12
13 I remember there is a bug with older versions of Java accessing CUPS,
14 and probably my commercial packages contain such an old version.
15
16 Does anybody know how to fix or circumvent this.
17 (Currently I have to remove the symlink when using one of these
18 commercial packages and reinstall it afterwards, but ... for a normal
19 user without root priviledges that's not possible unless I write an SUID
20 script)
21
22 Thanks for any hints,
23