From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 08:47:36
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 02:12:45 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >> I would like either the old IDE drives to come first, since I rarely
6 >> ever move them or grub to work with labels. I have a entry in
7 >> grub.conf that uses the labels but i have not rebooted yet. According
8 >> to what I have read it will work. The only concern is that if grub
9 >> doesn't like labels and I add another drive, then I got to edit the
10 >> grub boot line to boot and it took me a couple tries to get this
11 >> right. It seeing what used to be the last drive first sort of took me
12 >> by surprise. I don't like surprises to much.
13 >>
14 > Press c to get the GRUB command line and then use find to identify your
15 > root partition - find /etc/fstab will work unless you have two root
16 > partitions. There's no need for suck-it-and-see editing of config files,
17 > you only have to change menu.lst after you have found and tested the
18 > correct boot options.
22 I know I switched to grub from lilo because it was user friendly but I
23 haven't used this feature. So instead of hitting "e", I hit "c" and it
24 gives me something similar to what I get when I type grub into a console
25 when booted? I did a man grub here and I don't see that documented. Is
26 this documented somewhere?
27
28 I do have a old back-up copy of Gentoo on another drive. Since it's not
29 tarballed, I guess it would find its fstab too. Grub would think it is
30 a second OS. This is interesting. I'm hoping this is documented
31 somewhere so I can do some reading.
32
33 Thanks.
34