From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which desktop antivirus?
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 15:41:57
1 On Saturday 22 Oct 2011 15:22:20 Jonas de Buhr wrote:
2 > Am Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:43:53 +0200
3 >
4 > schrieb Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>:
5 > > Am 22.10.2011 13:29, schrieb Nilesh Govindarajan:
6 > > > On Sat 22 Oct 2011 04:57:33 PM IST, Mick wrote:
7 > > >> Hi All,
8 > > >>
9 > > >> I'm asked for a desktop antivirus (the box is running KDE) but I
10 > > >> have never used an antivirus on Linux. This page that I googled
11 > > >>
12 > > >> up shows a number of them:
13 > > >> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/free-linux-antivirus-programs/
14 > > >>
15 > > >> Meanwhile, portage only lists clamav under app-antivirus/.
16 > > >>
17 > > >> The machine in question is running kmail to receive/send messages
18 > > >> from ISP mail servers and ssmtp to send log messages for relaying
19 > > >> via said ISP.
20 > > >>
21 > > >> What have you tried and what would you recommend for such a
22 > > >> desktop setup?
23 > > >
24 > > > IMHO, you don't need antivirus on a Linux box, unless you're going
25 > > > to run a mail relay, where you are responsible for saving recipents
26 > > > from viruses.
27 > >
28 > > I agree. Check that your ISP performs virus checks. If not or if you
29 > > want to be extra sure, I think kmail can work with clamav -- at least
30 > > it could in the old 3.x days when I still used it.
31 > >
32 > > > The simplest reason of all is, Linux doesn't know how to execute
33 > > > Windows binaries.
34 > >
35 > > Well, this is an oversimplification.
36 > > 1) Any box running Wine is possibly as exposed to your classic
37 > > pretty-women.exe mail attachments as any windows systems.
38 > > 2) You should also be worried about Open/LibreOffice macro viruses as
39 > > well as PDF vulnerabilities. Not to forget Flash, Java or Mozilla
40 > > based exploits.
41 >
42 > or image rendering library bugs. or mono. or tricky multi-platform
43 > viruses/worms. saying that linux based viruses don't exist is simply
44 > wrong. there may not be much in the wild, but they definitely are out
45 > there.
46 >
47 > it is probably more difficult to write a successful virus for linux
48 > than for windows for a number or reasons but in principle the problem is
49 > the same as on windows.
50 > i think the main technical reason is the heterogeneity of the
51 > installations. one or two local exploits and you can hit almost any
52 > windows XP installation. in linux you have to deal with n combinations
53 > of kernel-version, glibc-version, etc. and there is very little you can
54 > depend on to be in a fixed location in memory since different compiler
55 > options may already change that. there are ways around all this of
56 > course[1], but its a lot of work. too much for the limited impact.
57 > also, a lot of malware seems to depend on social engineering for
58 > infection these days. i think thats going to work less good on a lot of
59 > linux users because the system conditions you to think before you act.
60 >
61 > that aside, i predict that we will see some linux viruses or worms with
62 > larger infections in the future. i guess the first ones will be for
63 > ubuntu because it has a large base of rather consistent base
64 > installations.
65 >
66 > /jonas
67 >
68 > --
69 >
70 > [1] fun idea: something exploiting bugs in the usb storage subsystem or
71 > file system handling code spreading to usb sticks. you could probably
72 > even make that multi-platform if you find the needed bugs for different
73 > OSes.
74 >
75 > > Still, keeping your system up-to-date and observing the freshly
76 > > revived GLSA notifications is more likely to save your butt than
77 > > clamav.
78
79 Thanks guys, good points.
80
81 The USB vector reminds me of stuxnet, although this I understand was designed
82 to infect Iranian MSWindows boxen.
83
84 Anyway, the use case in point is to protect other MSWindows OS' when
85 sending/forwarding office and pdf documents. So the user would like to be able
86 to scan emails as they come in/sent out.
87
88 Will clamav do this with KDE4?
89 --
90 Regards,