From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sendmail: warning: inet_protocols: disabling IPv6
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 01:20:20
1 On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:32:04AM +0100, Stroller wrote
2
3 > I'm pretty sure that setting USE="-*" creates just as much work,
4 > on average, if not more.
5 >
6 > You have just shifted the work from occasionally having to set -ipv6
7 > (and similar) in your make.conf, to regularly having to add +mp3
8 > +jpeg +vlc +minimal every time you emerge a new package.
9
10 I said I *START* the USE variable with "-*". Here's my USE setup...
11
12 USECPU="mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 ssse3"
13 USEOTHER=" X a52 aac bzip2 cxx dga dri exif ffmpeg flac fortran gallium gif intel jpeg mng mp3 mpeg ncurses nptl nptlonly nsplugin offensive ogg opengl openrc png posix readline ssl theora threads tiff tools truetype vim-syntax vorbis xcomposite webm x264 xpm xv xvid zlib"
14 USE="-* ${USECPU} ${USEOTHER}"
15
16 In /etc/portage/package.use I have the following, much of which I
17 would need regardless of the "-*" USE flag...
18
19 app-misc/mc -X
20 dev-lang/python xml
21 dev-libs/libxml2 python
22 games-emulation/dosbox alsa
23 mail-mta/ssmtp mta
24 media-gfx/ufraw gimp
25 media-libs/libsdl alsa audio joystick video
26 media-libs/libtheora encode
27 media-libs/mesa classic egl shared-glapi xorg
28 media-video/mplayer alsa iconv quicktime rtmp
29 sys-fs/eudev kmod
30 x11-libs/cairo glib svg
31 x11-wm/icewm imlib
32 x11-base/xorg-server suid xorg
33 x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel sna
34 x11-libs/libdrm libkms
35 www-client/midori deprecated
36 www-client/w3m -X -imlib
37 www-plugins/adobe-flash 64bit
38
39 # Firefox-specific
40 dev-lang/python sqlite
41 media-libs/libpng apng
42 dev-db/sqlite extensions
43
44 I select the flags that I want/need. When I have to add a flag to
45 package.use, I check whether that flag shows up multiple times. If so,
46 I consider moving it to USE in make.conf. Recently I did try an install
47 without "-*" under the default amd64 no-multilib profile (*NOT* the
48 "desktop" profile). Only part way through, I already had a larger USE
49 and package.use to exclude flags I don't want/need. For me, starting
50 USE with "-*" and adding additional necessary stuff in USE and
51 package.use is simpler than not starting USE with "-*".
54 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
55 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications