From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where should i ask Gentoo/Xen/hardware questions?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 11:04:21
1 > If /proc/config.gz exists when you boot from that image you could
2 >> compare that to the .config file that you're using to see what the
3 >> differences are.
6 > I tried it. I spend much time on it.
9 For me the only way is to use a GUI diff program like Meld, otherwise i find
10 it too difficult to notice the differences. :)
13 > I also tried to use the config of the allround boot disks (in
14 > /proc/config.gz of the running livecd system). I tried to figure out
15 > differences and also tried to copy it to the Xen-Kernel and then started
16 > 'make menuconfig' for the Xen kernel to fix dependencies cleared in 'make
17 > menuconfig'. It leads to kernels that
18 > * cannot be build due to compile errors,
19 > * or kernels that run perfectly on G3 (generation 3 HP hardware) but not on
20 > G4 or G6.
21 >
22 > Maybe this is an driver version issue for the 'Compaq SMART2 support'
23 > and the 'Compaq Smart Array 5xxx support'.
24 > But fixing a kernel, delivered by portage, is completly new to me. So i
25 > tried to ship around this...
26 >
27 > Would you suggest to try this way? Should I try to fix the Xen-Kernel from
28 > Gentoo with some HP driver source code? Or could it be a completly other
29 > issue?
30 >
31 > I'd be very confident that the driver code will be identical in xen kernel
32 to regular kernels of the same version. You could verify this by running
33 md5sum against the modules source codes. If they are the same there's no
34 need to worry about the driver code.
35
36 Put your xen .config and the config from the boot disk that works up
37 somewhere public - maybe we can spot the problem?