From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE update causes bizarre behaviour
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 09:07:01
1 On Tuesday, 26 January 2021 07:52:53 GMT Philip Webb wrote:
2 > I manhandled a huge update of Qt + KDE last weekend
3 > & am now using Qt-5.15.2 Frameworks-5.77.0 Plasma-5.20.5 .
4 > It was necessary to unmerge the whole of Qt & remerge it
5 > & ditto part of Frameworks : otherwise there were dependency conflicts.
6 > Portage seems incapable of handling such situations by itself.
7
8 I did not encounter any such conflicts here, on a stable system. Portage
9 updated Qt and KDE/Plasma unassisted by me.
12 > The digital clock has disappeared from the panel.
13 > I tried "add widgets" & can drag it to the panel, but it doesn't stay.
14 > I tried another widget (simple calculator) as a test & can't remove it.
15 > The icon for the clock in the "add widgets" menu has a small number
16 > attached, which has now reached "10", suggesting that I've added 10
17 > versions, but none of them is viewable ; there is an invisible icon in the
18 > panel which when R-clicked shows the display for editing the digital clock,
19 > but when L-clicked shows a different widget.
20 >
21 > Gwenview now presents my ~/pix/ directory as "Pictures",
22 > though its name remains the same in my file system.
23 >
24 > Has anyone else encountered these or other strange phenomena ?
25 > Does anyone have a suggestion how to get back to normalcy ?
26
27 Some packages have been updated again to later versions, e.g. dev-qt/
28 qtgui-5.15.2-r1, kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.20.5. Perhaps you caught
29 portage on the hop at your last re-sync? I suggest you resync again and
30 update @world.