From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:50:38
1 On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 23:32:22 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2
3 > We're going to be stuck with some issues anyway, no matter how we cope
4 > with things. At the moment, I've got my /usr on RAID1, which I think
5 > doubles up the speed things load at.
6
7 Use 0.90 metadata and you can put / on RAID1 too.
8
9 > (It's on LVM2 too, but that's by
10 > the way.) I really don't want a fragile initramfs. Sooner or later, I'd
11 > put some slight glitch into it and the result would be a dead PC.
12 > Either that or I'll be scared stiff of touching it, which isn't how a
13 > Gentoo user is supposed to be.
14
15 An initramfs doesn't really need any maintenance, it does a couple of
16 simple tasks, basically mounting stuff, and then exits. Once working
17 there's no reason to change it. Even if you do and break things, it's
18 exactly the same as the situation with a broken kernel update, you just
19 boot with the previous one (that's one reason I leave the initramfs
20 inside the kernel, a working kernel will always work without any reliance
21 on other files).
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"