From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: mpv startup times...is this guy waiting for soemthing ?
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 22:12:38
1 Am Sat, 18 Mar 2017 17:48:45 +0100
2 schrieb tuxic@××××××.de:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > very often I use mpv to watch videos.
7 >
8 > On my old root, the start of that tool
9 > was nearly instantly.
10 >
11 > With my new root, it seems, that mpv
12 > is waiting for something. For example:
13 >
14 > Playing: <Some videoZ=>
15 > [ffmpeg/demuxer] flv: video stream discovered after head already
16 > parsed [ffmpeg/demuxer] flv: audio stream discovered after head
17 > already parsed (+) Video --vid=1 (h264)
18 > (+) Audio --aid=1 (aac)
19 > AO: [alsa] 48000Hz stereo 2ch float
20 > VO: [opengl] 480x360 yuv420p
21 >
22 > The above is printed instantly onto the console...than it waits
23 > ~5 seconds, then the video is started and this is printed
24 > and updated:
25 >
26 > AV: 00:00:00 / 01:25:09 (0%) A-V: 0.000
29 > . This happens with flv, mp4 but it happens to pure audio
30 > files like ogg and wav also.
31 >
32 > I have no idea, for what mpv is waiting for -- but it annoys me.
35 > Is it fixable...and
36 > if( true )
37 > then
38 > how( "?" )
39 > fi
40 >
41 > :)
42
43 There's a good chance it's waiting for pulseaudio autospawning... Did
44 you try starting pulseaudio manually first, then mpv? Just to see if it
45 makes a difference?
46
47 Maybe add your user to the audio group... Or remove him from the group.
48 Can make a difference. A modern system should not need the user to be
49 in video and audio groups as udev/policykit should do proper ACL
50 setups. Having those groups added to the user may even make problems
51 occur (at least that happened to me once).
52
53 Also, you could start mpv with strace and see at which point the system
54 waits, then inspect the previous function calls. If it's a permission
55 error, you should see errors.
56
57 If you start processes with "sudo" and not "sudo -i" or "sudo -H",
58 there's a slight chance that root is already owning files in your
59 $HOME. Please check this:
60
61 # find $HOME -user root
62
63 And fix it if it finds something:
64
65 # find $HOME -user root -print0 | sudo xargs -0 chown $(id -u)
69 Regards,
70 Kai
71
72 Replies to list-only preferred.