From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB stick recognition problem
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 23:07:25
1 On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 02/02/2011 07:48 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have a USB SD-card reader which cannot read the partition table when
5 >> first inserted into the PC. But, if I issue "hdparm -z /dev/sdg" then
6 >> the kernel re-reads the partition table and everything works fine
7 >> after that.
8 >
9 > That sounds to me like a bug :)  Is it 100% reproducible, and do you see
10 > the same  on other computers?
11 >
12 > And, let us not forget the Ultimate Gold Standard: does it work on Windows?
13
14 Yes, it is exactly the same every time
15 Yes, every computer (for several kernel versions now)
16 Yes, it works in Windows straight away (without doing any tricks)
17
18 One thing I have not tried yet is to set delay_use option of
19 usb-storage to a higher value. Maybe the device is still starting up
20 and kernel tries to initialize it too quickly. I have usb-storage
21 compiled into kernel now, instead of as a module, so I need to
22 remember to change that that next time I plan to reboot.