From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot configure Synaptics Touchpad - Disabling Tapping & synclient
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:53:20
1 On Tuesday 24 April 2007 08:50:52 Alexander Skwar wrote:
2 > Hello.
3 >
4 > I'm having a hell of a time configuring my Synaptics Touchpad. Basically,
5 > I'd like to disable the annoying "tapping" feature; with tapping, they
6 > mean, that the user shortly "hits" (taps) the touchpad and this is then
7 > interpreted as a click. This annoys the hell out of me, as I accidently
8 > tap the touchpad when I type something and as a result, I continue to
9 > type at the wrong location. Anyway, enough of the whining - I'd like to
10 > disable tapping...
11 >
12 > On various places on the internet, like
13 > http://linux-on-laptops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112 or
14 > http://copland.udel.edu/~doke/dell_d810/, I found, that it should be good
15 > enough, to add
16 >
17 > Option "MaxTapTime" "0"
18 >
19 > to the Section "InputDevice" in the xorg.conf file. As you can see in
20 > my xorg.conf file at <http://askwar.pastebin.ca/453131>, I did that.
21 > Nonetheless, I'm sadly still able to use that annoying tapping feature :(
22
23 From askwar.pastebin.ca/453131:
24
25 Section "ServerLayout"
26 [SNIP]
27 InputDevice "Maus" "CorePointer"
28 #InputDevice "Synaptics" "AlwaysCore"
29
30 # InputDevice "Maus" "AlwaysCore"
31 # InputDevice "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
32 [SNIP]
33 Section "Module"
34 [SNIP]
35 # Load "synaptics"
36
37 Which shows that both the loading of the synaptics driver and the synaptics
38 inputdevice under serverlayout are commented. Not sure if this is just a
39 mistake in what you pasted or if it's the actual cause...
40
41 A MaxTapTime of 0 does work for me. From `man synaptics` :
42
43 TouchpadOff (Integer)
44 Switch off the touchpad. Valid values are:
45 [...]
46 2 Only tapping and scrolling is switched off
47
48 Sounds like that too is what you want.
49
50 Also I'm wondering why you would use the synaptics driver at all if you don't
51 want any of it's features. At least on my laptop the ordinary mouse driver
52 works fine for the touchpad if it wasn't for the fact that I do want those
53 features.. ;)
54
55 Finally just to be absolutely certain that you're editing the right config
56 file..
57
58 # grep "Using config" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
61 Bo Andresen