From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 21:34:00
1 On 21/12/2022 20:40, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Yes? In a mirror setup, all member drives of a mirror have the same content
3 > (at least in ZFS).
4 >
5 > Raid 10 distributes its content across several mirrors. This is the cause
6 > for its increased performance. So when one of the mirrors (not single drive,
7 > but a whole set of mirrored drives) fails, the pool is gone.
8 >
9 >> Linux will happily give you a 2-copy mirror across 3 drives - 3x6TB drives
10 >> will give you 9TB useful storage ...
11
12 > I admit, I’ve never head of that. (Though it sounds like raid-5 to me.)
13
14 Raid 5 has a parity drive (or rather, raid 4 has a parity drive. Raid 5
15 smears parity across all disks). It does not store duplicate copies.
16 Raid 10 has duplicate data and no parity.
17 >
18 Read up on linux raid-10. It is NOT raid-1+0.
19
20 Drive sda sdb sdc
21
22 Blocks 1 1 2
23 2 3 3
24 4 4 5
25 5 6 6
26
27 etc ...
28
29 https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/What_is_RAID_and_why_should_you_want_it%3F
30
31 (Disclaimer - I either wrote or heavily edited it.)
32
33 Cheers,
34 Wol