From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Serial port console debugging
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:12:44
1 Hi all,
2 Is there a HOWTO on serial port console debugging for Gentoo?
3
4 I'm seeing a crash on a new kernel at boot time and the kernel
5 developers have asked me to set up a null modem environment, which
6 I've done. I'm now trying to test it. However their very simple first
7 test command:
8
9 lightning ~ # echo x > /dev/ttyS0
10 lightning ~ #
11
12 does not appear to produce any text on the second machine.
13
14 I know nothing about setting up serial ports under Linux and am
15 looking for some instructions. Here's the environment:
16
17 Machine 1 - lightning - 1 serial port - this is the machine that
18 crashes at boot with a certain option
19
20 Machine 2 - gigastudio - 2 serial ports - this machine is running minicom
21
22 What's a really simple process for checking out whether this is set
23 up correctly?
24
25 1) I don't know that the null modem cable is good. I just bought it.
26
27 2) I don't know how to see if the serial ports are receiving any valid
28 data, status signals, or anything else to show they are working.
29
30 3) I don't know if minicom would display incoming characters by default.
31
32 I do think that I have serial support built into both kernels, but
33 I'm not sure where to look to see status of serial ports.
34
35 Thanks in advance for your ideas.
36
37 Cheers,