From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: X programs as root
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 17:14:40
1 On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > Apparently, though unproven, at 15:03 on Sunday 17 October 2010, Nikos
4 > Chantziaras did opine thusly:
5 >
6 > > On 10/17/2010 04:00 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
7 > > > On 09/22/2010 09:48 PM, Andrey Vul wrote:
8 > > >> When I launch X programs via sudo, I get the following:
9 > > >>
10 > > >> $sudo gui-admin
11 > > >> No protocol specified
12 > > >> gui-admin: cannot connect to X server :0
13 > > >>
14 > > >> ( Assume gui-admin is an X program )
15 > > >>
16 > > >> But (gk|kde)su(do)? works. This is somewhat confusing.
17 > > >
18 > > > I just discovered something. Keeping HOME is not really recommended,
19 > > > because the programs that run as root will then use your user's
20 > > > configuration files and sometimes will set 'root' as their owner. As
21 > you
22 > > > can imagine, this is not a good thing.
23 > > >
24 > > > It seems what X programs really need is the .Xauthority file of the
25 > > > current X session. All you have to do is add this line to your
26 > ~/.bashrc:
27 > > >
28 > > > export XAUTHORITY="$HOME/.Xauthority"
29 > > >
30 > > > Then you don't have to configure sudoers to keep the HOME env var.
31 > >
32 > > (I have the tendency to press the "Send" button too soon...)
33 > >
34 > > Setting XAUTHORITY in the user's .bashrc also means that you don't have
35 > > to modify /etc/sudoers *in any way*, not even DISPLAY needs to be kept.
36 > > Setting XAUTHORITY is *all* what is needed.
39 > I owe you a beer :-)
40 >
41 > One little export and this annoying thingy has now gone away:
42 >
43 > $ sudo vi /etc/fstab
44 > Password:
45 > No protocol specified
48 > You have NO IDEA how long that has annoyed me and how long I've been
49 > searching
50 > for a solution. Make that two beers!
51 >
52 > I'm a bit surprised, but this fix actually does work, even without any
53 special arrangement to
54 env_keep XAUTHORITY. But I still don't like it any better than my own
55 solution
56
57 echo -n ".mybashrc: "
58 xhost +root@localhost
59
60 which I place in my .mybashrc, where I keep all of my .bashrc
61 customizations. My way, it can
62 remind me what's going on, and seems more direct. It also works if I "su"
63 to root. As an old-timer on Unix, I often forget sudo. I don't like it
64 much anyway because it won't get me into root if something goes wrong in
65 bootup: with this in mind, I need a root PW anyway, until that bottleneck
66 gets fixed.
67
68 The above form is actually only used in a debugging mode I've defined, and
69 is silent otherwise.
70
71 ++ kevin
74 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD